The food and beverage industry is one of the most competitive in the country, and bars across the nation continue to look for ways to differentiate themselves. With outdoor living trends on the rise, maximizing your patio and outdoor space is one of the most effective ways to increase your bar profits quickly and cost-efficiently. Even simple changes – like customized menus for marketing potential or retractable awnings for increased comfort – can have a major impact on your bottom line.
Tips for Using Your Outdoor Space to Increase Your Bar Profits
Restaurants and bars with access to the outdoors have amazing potential for creating comfortable, hype-worthy spaces. From small patios to rooftop decks, your commercial property can easily transform outdoor amenities from ordinary to profit-generating. Here are our top five tips to get you started.
- Design Cocktail Menus Inspired by the Great Outdoors – By creating a unique menu for your outdoor seating area, you can give guests the thirst-quenching beverages they desire while giving your marketing team something to talk about. Tailor your menu to the seasons, providing cooling cocktails for the hotter months and warming drinks when the weather shifts.
- Embrace a Theme – Maximizing your patio means making it a destination. Find a theme that speaks to your outdoor experience while not straying too far from your brand persona. This gives you the ability to position outdoor events and specials as something unique.
- Create Comfort – Upgrading your space with a commercial-grade retractable awning is an essential step for making the most of your patio, deck, or courtyard. In addition to increasing your guests’ comfort, your awning will provide a wealth of benefits for your property, including improved energy efficiency.
- Add Entertainment – From live music to outdoor games, you’ll bring more guests into your space if you find ways to entertain them. Depending on your local laws, many bars and restaurants circumvent permitting restrictions by using acoustic (non-amplified) artists. Be sure you understand the regulations of your area and your specific licenses before making new plans.
- Leverage the Power of “Special” Events – Giving your guests something to look forward to keeps your brand at the front of their mind. Whether this is a monthly theme party, daily happy hour, or seasonal soiree, events encourage guests to invite their friends and enjoy an experience that’s beyond their everyday routine.
When looking for ways to increase your bar profits, it’s easy to get lost in the operational side of the business. We also encourage you to think about your guests’ experiences and embrace creative ways for differentiating your bar or restaurant from the competition.
Are Retractable Awnings Right for Your Bar or Restaurant?
At Retractable Structures (a division of Eide Industries, Inc.), we specialize in designing, manufacturing, and engineering commercial retractable structures and awnings. With almost 80 years of extensive design, construction, metal fabrication, industrial sewing, and installation experience, we are proud to offer the highest quality custom and pre-engineered products possible, made right here in the U.S.